Pages

Oct 2, 2010

First Friday

Yesterday was First Friday and it was one of the best ones I have been to in the past 3 years. I did a program for my residents and took them to their first 'First Friday'.
At the end of the night we went to this old book store where they had random antique/vintage/trashy/old/rusty items including books, records, painting prints, boxes, and just random things. It is located right next to aka music. At the store I found old books from India such as first edition Vivekanda books from Ramkrishna mission from 1950s, old Indian art history book, first edition R.K. Nayaran 
story books/cartoons, couple of them were about Swami and friends. 'Malgudi Days' has been one of mine and my father's favorite t.v. shows of all times, introduced to me by my father as one his childhood memories. I started loving the show because I used to look at my father as a hero (still do) and wanted to do everything he did, even eat eggplants because they were his favorite. But when I saw the the original stories by Narayan which were then turned into the t.v. show my mouth dropped open. SUCH TREASURE IN PHILADELPHIA!!!!! so freakin random. Then I found this book called "The Tagore Stories" (big fan of Tagore) which has excerpts from his works, conversations and letters. Here is the bigger surprise, today happens to Mahatma Gandhi's 141st birthday and yesterday freakishly I found an article cutout in the Tagore book about Gandhi's 100th birthday being celebrated at University Of Pennsylvania's campus in 1969. How random!!!! It was such a wonderful day yesterday =) I bought all these books and a gorgeous vintage wooden box to keep jewelery. One of my residents found a Renoir charcoal drawing framed print for $10.
This shop is just amazing, messy and unorganized; filled with random collectible old things.
And we saw this old guy improvise 'eleanor rigby' on his acoustic electric guitar accompanied by another old guy playing the electric violin. It was beautiful! How can I forget the purpose of our visit, the art was breathtaking. 
View Larger Map

Happy Birthday to Gandhiji!



"Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed. Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well"
-Gandhi

1 comment:

Lekhs said...

Life is so random at times yet so connected. Its funny how far and disconnected sometimes we get from our past however, there is always that something in your case Malgudi Days that reminded you of your dad. I am glad you had a good time even in the shitty weather.

Related Posts with Thumbnails