Pages

Nov 6, 2010

Day 52

Acrylic on canvas
Super late birthday gift!
Cartoon version of Devansh.

I had very few acrylic colors to work with. Red, brown/burnt sienna, teal green and yellow. No skin tones, no white, no black! I had to go wild, out of my boundaries to create this.
I was restricted as to, I could not paint the way I normally paint with neutral tones and and dark background. Skintones were impossible to create without white or beige. Yet, I think this piece turned out pretty alright (except for facial proportions, hence he looks like a cartoon).
I realized while painting that just like painting with restricted colors, life gives your restrictions to live with. These restrictions help us grow rather than set us back. If I had every color in the world to paint with, I might have created something that is very normal looking and might have followed norms. But with restriction I was able to explore and extend what the few colors were able to produce. Same way in life we are given certain limitations to live with and with those we work to make the best out whatever we are given. Rather than following the norm, true creativity only pours out in life and on canvas with limitations. Making the best out of the worst. When you have 100% freedom, there is just too much you can do and we might end up creating a chaos. Hence, there are laws of nature that we must follow, rules of society, family values and so on. My point is, one does not need 100% freedom to live life to its fullest. Free will can still be implemented with all the limitations that apply to our life or thinking positively, all the possibilities that are available to us through our options. Limitation is what creates our life interesting. Not having everything, but working to create beautiful things from what we have. Creativity is basically a unique way of solving problems/applying skills. It can best be seen when skills are applied to solve  set backs and from that a person grows more.

Something I was thinking when painting.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails