Pages

Sep 18, 2011

Artist Statement!


My life has greatly been influenced by the Vedic way of life that originated in southern Asia. Indian classical music, festivals, values and so on are all a part of this rich culture. It is reflected in the art that I create, from the painting of ‘Diwali’ to the ‘Girl inside the temple’ and even my doodles on used coffee filters. My artwork and vision has been highly influenced by my Indian cultural upbringing with close ties to family.
Essentially artists are mere imitators of nature, the surrounding within and outside. It is the artist who decides what aspect of this greatest creation of all, nature, to illustrate. I desire to portray beauty that is found in simple things and send a positive message about life.
For example, the idea to use used coffee filters as a medium was inspired from the natural pattern created on the coffee filters from coffee brewing.  Some parts were stained, and some were not, in a very random manner, sort of like the different life experiences we all go through. Our life is never plain like a new coffee filter, but always like a used one: stained, used here and there, torn here and every one of them is unique only after it is used. My motive was to make this used coffee filter even more attractive and beautiful, like the way it is our job to make this life beautiful regardless of the stains we are given.

My art, many times is observed and brought to life in oil, water color, pen, sharpie, acrylic, on canvas, paper or used coffee filters. A lot of the work shown here is few years old; recently I completed my Bachelors degree in Biology from Temple University and have been working on improving my skills of drawing from life as I am aspiring to pursue a career in medical illustration.
yataḥ pravṛttir bhūtānāḿ

Chapter 18th of Bhagvad Gita, Verse 46
“The perfection of self-realization is only obtained in perfection from worshipping the Supreme Lord and offering everything one possesses to Him”
I offer my efficiency to him, my art.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails